Saturday, January 16, 2010

What is a safe harmless way to dispose of / trap a squirrel that has been living in my attic?

There is a squirrel that has gotten into my attic this past winter. I don't like hearing him scrambling across my ceiling. I don't know how he's getting in and out or if he is just flat out living up there. My attic has a trap door. There are no stairs for me to climb. I have to pull a ladder down from the ceiling door and climb up. It's dark up there. Only serious answers please! LOLWhat is a safe harmless way to dispose of / trap a squirrel that has been living in my attic?
In my state, it's illegal to trap and transport, so I had two options for the ones living in the eave above my carport.. put out poison, or scare them out somehow. We could see where they had chewed through the wood around the carport, and so we took a turkey baster, filled it up with Squirrel Away (pepper powder I put in my bird feeders to discourage the squirrels from eating everything in sight!) and chuffed the powder into the hole several times. The squirrels came barreling out of there and haven't been back since! Last time I saw those particular ones, they were headed for the creek! LOL But you might have more choices if you live in the city, or if your state will let you trap and transport. Call your local Animal Control or the State Recreation Dept for a number to your local Park Ranger Station and see if they can help you!What is a safe harmless way to dispose of / trap a squirrel that has been living in my attic?
Contact animal control in your town; they should be able to loan you a live trap, and explain how to bait it. Once you've caught the little varmint, call them to come pick it up and transport it to another location far from your home. You might also consider contacting a builder who can come check your home to find out where the squirrel got in, and repair it. Otherwise, you'll most likely have another take up residence after the present squirrel is removed.





Good luck!
There has to be a hole somewhere for it to get in and out. All they need is a hole the size of a quarter. I had one, and it was tough to get it out. I tried trapping it, but It wouldn't bite. I've heard things like putting a radio up tuned to a talk radio station to keep them away, and foggers. Luckily for me, there was one perfect day, where all animals seemed to be active outside, so I went up, patched the hole, and hoped the squirrel was not trapped inside. When night fall came I looked outside where the hole was and saw the squirrel just sitting there, with a puzzled look. I won!


If you're scared to go up in the attic and set something up, call an exterminator. Squirrels have a habit of tearing up wires and insulation while making themselves at home so it's important you act fast.
get yourself a #2 muskrat trap, bait it with a piece of apple.


place the trap in the attic. check the trap everyday. I guarantee you


will catch your squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment